Protein shakes as part of weight loss plans are a hit among bodybuilders, providing the convenience that some weight loss methods could not offer. You simply have to prepare and drink the mixture—that’s it.
Here are the benefits and drawbacks of using protein shakes and decide for yourself if it is a safe, effective, and healthy option for you.
· Protein shakes can help increase muscle mass and improve muscle tone, making it a great protein shakes weight loss supplement for bodybuilders. An increased muscle mass can lead to weight loss. Protein shakes contain only a small amount of simple sugars.
· They are a good alternative to high-calorie and high-fat meals. Effective in reducing hunger and appetite, protein shakes will keep you from eating foods that contain high amounts of fat and sugar.
· Taking protein shakes won’t be a burdensome routine for you. Protein shakes are easy and quick to prepare. They come in powder form, which is combined to a shake.
· No scientific study or evidence has supported yet the claim that protein shakes can provide the protein requirements of the body. Likewise, it has not been proven yet whether protein shakes are a better source of protein than real foods such as meat, eggs, milk, cheese, and yogurt.
· According to studies, protein shakes help shed around 4 to 6 pounds of body weight per month. But protein shakes weight loss is possible only when it is accompanied by a low-calorie diet and a good exercise program. To lose weight with the help of protein shakes, you also need to avoid sodas, desserts, pizza, and other food and drinks that contain high amounts of sugar, carbohydrates, and fats.
Photo courtesy of http://www.precisionnutrition.com/super-shake-creation-infographic
Is using a protein shakes necessary? No, because you can get the same or higher amount of protein from natural food. However, it does not mean that you should not consider protein shakes at all. They are great for weight loss as long as you use them with a balanced diet and regular exercise.